Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sunday Afternoon

Why am I here? What did I come for again? Oh Yeah,
A moment later I was next in queue, handing a middle-aged asian man my credit card. He scanned my beer.

Wait. Add some Funyuns to that. I pull the chips from the stand.

OK. Deep Breath. Why'd I get so high? Was I still high?

"Nice Haircut."

Why's he saying that? It was the asian clerk. Broken English. Heavy Accent. Why did he mention my haircut? Does he recognize me?

"Oh, thanks," I mutter in response. He's swiping my card. I wanted to add that I'd just gotten it cut that day, but I couldn't get it out.

We waited. "I get lazy when it's nice like today..." the clerk told me. "Summer is over," he added ruefully. Fuck man. I was definitely high.

I had to add something in response. "Well, it's supposed to be nice all this week." The reality was it was fall, my words echoed in the cold air.

I stood nervously. I'd paid for my beer, but I was still waiting. I think the receipt was supposed to print out. I used my PIN, do I still get a receipt? If I just stand here and don't get a receipt, he'll know I'm high for sure.

Relax. It just printed a receipt. No worries man. Get back home.

Jay-walk for sure. Cut across the street. Down two blocks. Turn right, across from the park, you're there. Just get back home. You know the way, just do it.

No comments: